"Life is the total sum of what you do with the moments given you." - Erwin Mcmanus

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jumping off bridges

It's official!
As of a few days ago, I am a geology major.



I've been contemplating switching from a psychology major to a geology major for a while now. I've consulted with professors from both departments, taken personality test to see which field I would be happier in, researched careers online, spoken to a career advisor, looked at class lists, and I'm afraid I've bored or annoyed my friends and family to tears with my many pros and cons analyses for weeks now.

Perhaps I went a little overboard in the deliberating department.

For me this was a big decision. The older I get, it seems the more my decisions matter. Not only do they matter, they can be the beginning of a chain reaction that affects the rest of my life. Which is scary. Really, really scary.

I simply don't feel equipped to make seriously adult decisions. Minor adult decisions and responsibilities I'm okay with. But big stuff, the stuff that is going to affect me for years to come...that stuff scares me silly.

But I did it. I sat myself down, told myself to grow up, and leapt off the metaphoric bridge of uncertainty.

And here I am. A geology major with a psychology minor, still a little scared that I will fail. An extra year added to my undergrad career. But really, really looking forward to my upcoming classes, excited about what the future holds, and proud of myself for taking a chance.

So here's to leaping off (metaphorical) bridges!

~Katie

p.s. California pictures soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

merci de vos commentaires!